(Quoted from a Study by the National Economic Development Office, London)
The construction risks can be broadly grouped under the following categories:
- Incomplete design.
- Inadequate site investigation.
- Uncertainty over the source and availability of materials.
- Appropriateness of specifications.
. Logistical Risks
- Availability of resources - particularly construction equipments, spare parts, fuel and labor.
- Availability of sufficient transportation facilities.
. Construction Risks
- Uncertain productivity of resources.
- Weather and seasonal implications.
- Industrial relations problems.
. Financial Risks
- Availability and fluctuation in foreign exchange.
- Delay in Payment.
- Repatriation of funds.
- Local taxes.
. Political Risks
- Constraints on the availability and employment of expatriate staff.
- Customs and import restrictions and procedures.
- Difficulties in disposing of plant and equipment.
- Insistence on use of local firms and agents.
Further Reading: Financial Crisis: A Multi Level Impact on Construction