| || |
Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: Breadth and Depth (Mechanical Engineering)
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
(35 customer reviews)
Don't Let the Real Test Be Your First Test!
Presented in the Breadth and Depth format of the actual exam, this comprehensive guide is filled with hundreds of realistic practice questions based on the Principles and Practice of Civil Engineering (PE-CIVIL) exam, given by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). Detailed solutions, including equations and diagrams, are provided for every question. Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams offers intensive test preparation and is the perfect companion to Civil Engineering PE All-in-One Exam Guide.
COVERS ALL EXAM TOPICS, INCLUDING:
- Structural: materials, member design, design criteria
- Geotechnical: soil mechanics, foundations, excavation, seismic issues
- Water resources and environmental: hydraulics, hydrology, water supply and quality, wastewater treatment
- Transportation: capacity analysis, planning, freeways, multilane highways
- Construction: scheduling, estimating, quality control, safety
- Amazon Sales Rank: #379984 in Books
- Published on: 2012-02-07
- Released on: 2012-01-17
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 9.20" h x 1.00" w x 7.30" l, 1.25 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 352 pages
About the Author
Dr. Indranil Goswami has a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. During the past 20 years he has taught and conducted research at Morgan State University in Baltimore. Dr. Goswami is a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Maryland and he has served as president of the Baltimore Chapter of the Maryland Society of Professional Engineers. He taught PE (CIVIL) Review and FE Review courses in Baltimore from 2001 – 2006. In 1998, Dr. Goswami was nominated for the Bliss Medal for Academic Excellence by the Society of American Military Engineers and in 2003, received the Educator of the Year Award from the Maryland Society of Professional Engineers.
Most helpful customer reviews
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
Great preparation for Civil PE exam
By Amazon Customer
This book has some great practice problems for the Civil PE exam (breadth and depth). I bought several books to practice for the Civil PE Exam (with structural depth). Here is my opinion of all of the practice problems I purchased:
1) "Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: Breadth and Depth" by Goswami. Problems are ever so slightly more difficult than what I saw on the exam. But it served as great preparation. Some of the problems referenced out of data concrete and steel codes but it didn't matter.
2) "Practice Exams for the Civil PE Examination: Two practice exams (and solutions) geared towards the breadth portion of the Civil PE Exam" by Goswami. Problems were about the difficulty level I saw on the exam. Great practice for the AM portion of the exam.
3) "Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Structural Problems, 6th Ed" by Subasic. These problems are much harder than what you will see on the Civil PE exam (structural depth). I worked through some but not all of them.
4) PE Civil Engineering Structural Practice exam by NCEES. Great practice problems for the PE exam. Difficulty level was the easiest of all the aforementioned books but representative of the difficulty level of questions I saw on the exam.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
Great Review Exam
Great practice exams! The AM exams were a little bit more difficult than the actual exam, but if you know how to do these problems the AM portion will be easy. The Construction Depth exam was a good representation of what was actually on the exam. The practice problems are quite a bit longer and you may only need to do a piece of some of the practice problems on the actual exam.
The only thing I did not like, is some of the solutions used equations that I did not specifically have or were modifications to equations that I was use to using. This wouldn't be a big deal if he provided units throughout his solutions, instead of just numbers. Eventually I was able to make sense of his solution, but it would have been much easier if unites were given.
These exams paired with the NCEES AM and PM exams give a very good idea of what to expect.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Good for knowledge and study practice
This book gave me a variety of problems that were so much harder than the exam. I didn't enjoy most of it but it may have helped make the exam seem easy because it was so much more involved. You also learn a lot of pitfalls while solving longer and harder problems. Given the exam difficulty and reworked of the format after 2015, this book is harder. Gaswami's problems that came out after are more representative of what the exam was. However, it doesn't hurt to practice with these exams during studying so that you can figure out where you're weak or need to supplement your knowledge. They don't work so much though as a representative 8hr test but really good for study practice. So I think it is worth the purchase.