| || |
Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials (4th Edition)
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Fulfilled by Amazon and Sold by Elite_Savings
(30 customer reviews)
For undergraduate courses in Mechanical, Industrial, Metallurgical, and Materials Engineering Programs. For graduate courses in Manufacturing Science and Engineering. This comprehensive, up-to-date text has balanced coverage of the fundamentals of materials and processes, its analytical approaches, and its applications in manufacturing engineering. Students using this text will be able to properly assess the capabilities, limitations, and potential of manufacturing processes and their competitive aspects. Well-organized and interesting, this book will encourage, motivate, and challenge students to present economically viable solutions to a wide variety of questions and problems, including the increasingly important element of product design.
- Amazon Sales Rank: #937014 in Books
- Published on: 2002-08-24
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 9.98" h x 1.59" w x 8.20" l,
- Binding: Hardcover
- 976 pages
From the Back Cover
Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials, Fourth Edition is a comprehensive text, written mainly for students in mechanical, industrial, and metallurgical and materials engineering programs. The text, as well as the numerous examples and case studies in each chapter, clearly show that manufacturing engineering is a complex and interdisciplinary subject. The topics are organized and presented in such a manner that they motivate and-challenge students to present technically and economically viable solutions to a wide variety of questions and problems, including product design. Since the publication of the third edition, there have been rapid and significant advances in various areas in manufacturing. The fourth edition of Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials, while continuing with balanced coverage of the relevant fundamentals, analytical approaches, and applications, reflects these new advances.
- A new Chapter 13 on fabrication of microelectronic and micromechanical devices.
- Expansion of design considerations in each chapter. r New examples and case studies throughout all chapters.
- A total of 1230 questions and problems; 32% more than in the third edition.
- End-of-chapter questions and problems now include problems on design; a total of 140 design problems.
- Figures have been improved or redrawn for better graphic impact.
- More cross-references to sections and chapters throughout the text. Bibliographies have been thoroughly updated.
About the Author
Serope Kalpakjian taught and conducted research at the Illinois Institute of Technology for 38 years prior to his retirement in 2001 as professor emeritus of mechanical and materials engineering. After graduating from Robert College (high honors), Harvard University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he joined Cincinnati Milacron, where he was a research supervisor in advanced metal-forming processes. He is the author of numerous technical papers and several articles in handbooks and encyclopedias and has edited various conference proceedings. In addition, Professor Kalpakjian has served on the editorial bards of several journals and the Encyclopedia Americana and is the coauthor of Lubricants and Lubrication in Metalworking Operations. Both first editions of his textbooks, Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, have received the M. Eugene Merchant Manufacturing Textbook Award. He is a Life Fellow of the ASME, Fellow of the SME, Fellow and Life Member of ASM International, emeritus member of CIRP (International Institution for Bookion Engineering Research), and a founding member and past president of NAMRI/SME.
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
The fourth edition of this text, like the previous editions, continues to make an attempt at presenting a comprehensive, balanced, and up-to-date coverage of the relevant fundamentals and real-world applications of engineering materials and manufacturing processes and systems and the analytical approaches involved. The topics covered throughout the 16 chapters reflect the rapid and significant advances that have taken place in various areas in manufacturing, and they are organized and described in such a manner to draw the interest of students. The case studies, mostly from industry, make the subject of manufacturing science arr4engineering less abstract by showing students the practical aspects of process applications.
What's new in this edition
- A new chapter has been added that covers the fabrication of microelectronic and micromechanical devices.
- The discussion of design considerations in each chapter have been expanded.
- Several new examples and case studies have been added throughout all chapters.
- A total of 1230 questions and problems has been added-30% more than in the third edition.
- Questions and problems now include a total of 140 design problems.
- Figures have been improved for better graphical impact.
- More cross-references to sections and chapters have been added throughout the text.
- All chapter bibliographies have been thoroughly updated.
New or expanded topics for this edition include the following:
- Automated guided vehicles
- Biodegradable plastics
- Cryogenic machining and grinding
- Cryogenic treatment of cutting tools
- Design considerations for casting
- Design considerations for powder metallurgy
- Design considerations for sheet-metal forming
- Electrically conducting adhesives
- Enterprise resource planning
- Flexible fixturing
- ISO 9000 and 14000 standards
- Life-cycle assessment
- LIGA process
- Metal foams
- Microelectromechanical systems fabrication
- Microelectronics device fabrication
- Modeling of casting
- Plasma and wet etching
- Polymer processing
- Printed circuit boards
- Rapid protoyping and rapid tooling
- Rotary ultrasonic machining
- Silicon microstructure
- Six-sigma quality
- Solid free-form fabrication
- Stick-slip in extrusion
- Superconductor processing Surface-mount technology
- Value assessment
- Vibration and chatter in rolling
- Water-jet peening
Most helpful customer reviews
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful.
It can't be helped...
While this book is a fantastic overview of all things materials and their many, many, many different methods of processing, the text is beyond dry when it comes to actual readability. A few weeks could have been set aside in the writing process to make the text far less formulaic and repetitive than it is currently, but that effort was obviously not made.
However, its impossible to fault a textbook for being dry, and that's the only reason the single star was docked. The descriptions of the manufacturing processes and their applications, on the other hand, were detailed and helpful, and the book is recommended in that regard.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
The picture is of the English Edition. I received the international edition. False Advertising. There was also no mention of it being the international Edition in the Description. If I wanted the international Edition, I would have bought a cheaper one. I Spent more thinking I was getting what was advertised in the description and in the picture as this was what I needed for class. I paid more money for something I could have gotten for $20 because I wanted something that would best help me in class.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Good book for engineering school
By Christian Eckenrode
Decent book with a lot of information.