| || |
Engineering for Industrial Designers and Inventors: Fundamentals for Designers of Wonderful Things
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
(1 customer reviews)
If you have designs for wonderful machines in mind, but aren’t sure how to turn your ideas into real, engineered products that can be manufactured, marketed, and used, this book is for you. Engineering professor and veteran maker Tom Ask helps you integrate mechanical engineering concepts into your creative design process by presenting them in a rigorous but largely nonmathematical format.
Through mind stories and images, this book provides you with a firm grounding in material mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. Students, product and mechanical designers, and inventive makers will also explore nontechnical topics such as aesthetics, ethnography, and branding that influence product appeal and user preference.
- Learn the importance of designing functional products that also appeal to users in subtle ways
- Explore the role of aesthetics, ethnography, brand management, and material culture in product design
- Dive into traditional mechanical engineering disciplines related to the behavior of solids, liquids, and gases
- Understand the human factors of design, such as ergonomics, kinesiology, anthropometry, and biomimicry
- Get an overview of available mechanical systems and components for creating your product
- Amazon Sales Rank: #292145 in Books
- Published on: 2016-05-21
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 9.00" h x .40" w x 6.90" l, .0 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 216 pages
About the Author
Thomas Ask is a professor of industrial design at Pennsylvania College of Technology. Previously, he worked as an engineer for nearly 20 years, designing dozens of commercial products and systems. He is the founder of the Society of Inventors and Mad Scientists as well as a licensed Professional Engineer with a doctorate in Industrial Design. He is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the American Society for Engineering Education.
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Tom Ask provides a unique look into the minds of ...
By Amazon Customer
Tom Ask provides a unique look into the minds of both Engineers and Designers combining their thought process into one. As someone that works alongside both Engineers and Designers who NEVER think on the same level this text is a breath of fresh air.
This book is paramount for any budding designer that wants to be taken seriously with their designs.