| || |
Engineering Design with SolidWorks 2013
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
(12 customer reviews)
Engineering Design with SolidWorks 2013 is written to assist students, designers, engineers and professionals. The book provides a solid foundation in SolidWorks by utilizing projects with step-by-step instructions for the beginning to intermediate SolidWorks user. Explore the user interface, CommandManager, menus, toolbars and modeling techniques to create parts, assemblies and drawings in an engineering environment.
Follow the step-by-step instructions and develop multiple parts and assemblies that combine machined, plastic and sheet metal components. Formulate the skills to create, modify and edit sketches and solid features. Learn the techniques to reuse features, parts and assemblies through symmetry, patterns, copied components, design tables, Bills of Materials, Custom Properties and Configurations. Address various SolidWorks analysis tools: SimulationXpress, Sustainability / SustainabilityXpress and DFMXpress and Intelligent Modeling techniques. Learn by doing, not just by reading!
Desired outcomes and usage competencies are listed for each project. Know your objective up front. Follow the steps in Projects 1 - 8 to achieve the design goals. Work between multiple documents, features, commands and custom properties that represent how engineers and designers utilize SolidWorks in industry.
Review individual features, commands and tools with the enclosed multimedia DVD. The projects contain exercises. The exercises analyze and examine usage competencies. Collaborate with leading industry suppliers such as SMC Corporation of America, Boston Gear and 80/20 Inc.
Collaborative information translates into numerous formats such as paper drawings, electronic files, rendered images and animations. On-line intelligent catalogs guide designers to the product that meets both their geometric requirements and performance functionality.
The authors developed the industry scenarios by combining their own industry experience with the knowledge of engineers, department managers, vendors and manufacturers. These professionals are directly involved with SolidWorks everyday. Their responsibilities go far beyond the creation of just a 3D model.
The book is designed to compliment the SolidWorks Tutorials contained in SolidWorks 2013.
Table of Contents
1. Fundamentals of Part Modeling
2. Fundamentals of Assembly Modeling
3. Fundamentals of Drawing
4. Extrude and Revolve Features
5. Swept, Lofted and Additional Features
6. Top Down Assembly Modeling and Sheet Metal
7. SimulationXpress, Sustainability and DFMXpress
8. Intelligent Modeling Techniques
- Amazon Sales Rank: #975368 in Books
- Brand: Brand: SDC Publications
- Published on: 2013-01-14
- Ingredients: Example Ingredients
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 10.75" h x 8.50" w x 1.25" l, 3.30 pounds
- Binding: Perfect Paperback
- 776 pages
- Used Book in Good Condition
From the Author
Classroom support materials for this book (presentations, projects, avi files, labs, quizzes, and initial and final SolidWorks model files) are available to all instructors.
About the Author
David Planchard is the founder of D&M Education LLC. Before starting D&M Education, he spent over 27 years in industry and academia holding various engineering, marketing, and teaching positions and degrees. He holds five U.S. patents and one international patent. He has published and authored numerous papers on Machine Design, Book Design, Mechanics of Materials, and Solid Modeling. He is an active member of the SolidWorks Users Group and the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE). David holds a BSME, MSM with the following Professional Certifications: CCAI, CCNA, CCNP, CSWA, CSWP, CSDA, CSWSA-FEA. David is a SolidWorks Solution Partner, an Adjunct Faculty member and the SAE advisor at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in the Mechanical Engineering department.
Marie Planchard is the Director of World Education Markets at DS SolidWorks Corp. Before she joined SolidWorks, Marie spent over 10 years as an engineering professor at Mass Bay College in Wellesley Hills, MA. She has 14 plus years of industry software experience and held a variety of management and engineering positions. Marie holds a BSME, MSME and CSWP, CSDA, CSWSA-FEA. She is an active member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
David and Marie Planchard are co-authors of the following books:
- A Commands Guide for SolidWorks 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008
- Assembly Modeling with SolidWorks 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005-2004, 2003 and 2001Plus
- Drawing and Detailing with SolidWorks 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 and 2001/2001Plus
- Engineering Design with SolidWorks with Multimedia CD 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001Plus, 2001 and 1999
- Engineering Graphics with SolidWorks and Video Instruction 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
- SolidWorks: The Basics with Multimedia CD 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 and 2003
- SolidWorks Tutorial with Video Instruction 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2001/2001Plus
- The Fundamentals of SolidWorks: Featuring the VEXplorer robot, 2008 and 2007
- Official Certified SolidWorks Associate Examination Guide, Version 4, 2012, 2011, 2010 Version 3; 2011, 2010, 2009, Version 2; 2010, 2009, 2008, Version 1; 2007
- Official Certified SolidWorks Professional (CSWP) Certification Guide with Multimedia DVD, 2011, 2010
- Official Guide to Certified SolidWorks Associate Exams: CSWA, CSDA, and CSWSA-FEA, Version 1; 2013, 2012
- Applications in Sheet Metal Using Pro/SHEETMETAL & Pro/ENGINEER
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Great book for a first time user
By Sarah Wilkinson
There were times when the lack of proof reading or editing became pretty obvious, but there was never anything that took away from the overall effectiveness of the book. All basic drafting methods are covered, as well as basic assemblies and mates. While any theory behind electronic drafting is rarely discussed, the author teaches by having student perform a series of specific steps to create a part or assembly, and this learn by doing approach is still effective. Using only this book and the tutorials included with the Solidworks software I was able to pass the Certified Solidworks Associate Exam on the first try with a perfect score. This book actually covers somewhat past the material that's on the exam and begins an introduction to basic flow modeling and other more advanced methods.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful.
but not a good reference
By Alan R.
step by step tutorial, but not a good reference book
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
By Amazon Customer
Didn't by this product