| || |
Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual, 15th Ed
Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Ships from and sold by PPI - ppi2pass
(29 customer reviews)
Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam contains over 900 problems designed to reinforce your knowledge of the topics presented in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual. Short, six-minute, multiple-choice problems follow the NCEES Civil PE exam problem format and focus on individual engineering concepts. Longer, more complex problems challenge your skills in identifying and applying related engineering concepts. Problems will also familiarize you with the codes and standards you’ll use on the exam.
Solutions are clearly written, complete, and easy to follow. U.S. customary and SI units are equally supported, and units are meticulously identified and carried through in all calculations. All solution methodologies permitted by the NCEES Civil PE exam (e.g., ASD and LRFD) are presented. Frequent references to figures, tables, equations, and appendices in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual and the exam-adopted codes and standards will direct you to relevant support material.
Exam Topics Covered
- Civil Breadth: Project Planning; Means and Methods; Soil Mechanics; Structural Mechanics; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Geometrics; Materials; Site Development
- Construction: Earthwork Construction and Layout; Estimating Quantities and Costs; Construction Operations and Methods; Scheduling; Material Quality Control and Bookion; Temporary Structures; Health and Safety
- Geotechnical: Site Characterization; Soil Mechanics, Laboratory Testing, and Analysis; Field Materials Testing, Methods, and Safety; Earthquake Engineering and Dynamic Loads; Earth Structures; Groundwater and Seepage; Problematic Soil and Rock Conditions; Earth Retaining Structures; Shallow Foundations; Deep Foundations
- Structural: Analysis of Structures; Design and Details of Structures; Codes and Construction
- Transportation: Traffic Engineering; Horizontal Design; Vertical Design; Intersection Geometry; Roadside and Cross-Section Design; Signal Design; Traffic Control Design; Geotechnical and Pavement; Drainage; Alternatives Analysis
- Water Resources and Environmental: Analysis and Design; Hydraulics–Closed Conduit; Hydraulics–Open Channel; Hydrology; Groundwater and Wells; Wastewater Collection and Treatment; Water Quality; Drinking Water Distribution and Treatment; Engineering Economic Analysis
- Amazon Sales Rank: #26517 in Books
- Brand: Ingramcontent
- Published on: 2015-11-19
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 11.00" h x 1.55" w x 8.50" l, 4.08 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 824 pages
- Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam
About the Author
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
Before it grew to behemoth size, I envisioned this book being taken to work, on the bus or train, on business trips, and on weekend pleasure getaways to the beach. I figured that it would “carry” a lot easier than the big Civil Engineering Reference Manual. Though I do not think you will be taking this book on any backpacking trips, you might still find yourself working problems in the cafeteria during your lunch break.
The big issue is whether you really work the practice problems or not. Some people think they can read a problem statement, think about it for about ten seconds, read the solution, and then say “Yes, that is what I was thinking of, and that is what I would have done.” Sadly, these people find out too late that the human brain does not learn very efficiently in that manner. Under pressure, they find they know and remember too little. For real learning, you have to spend some time with a stubby pencil.
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Great book for 95% of the topics for Civil Engineering
I've been studying for the civil exam (structural) with this and it is very in depth which is great. There are a lot of details and a plethora of information on all subjects related to Civil Engineering. This will be one of my main books for the exam. It also pairs with the Practice Problems quite well.
That being said, I am not amused by the Masonry section from this book. This is a very detailed book (and expensive) with 3 chapters dedicated to Masonry (29 pages) and there are 11 pages of errata for this section for the first printing. I will have to print out the pages and keep it with the book during the exam as I cannot trust the Masonry section of the book because there are so many errors.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
There Are Better Options Available
By Mike L.
Don't waste your money. Some problems on here are recommended as an hour to solve them. They also cover all kinds of obscure topics that have a low probability of being on the exam. You'd be better off with something like 6 Minute Solutions for your PE Exam prep. I bought this book and probably only spent a couple hours with it of my 100+ hour exam prep.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
So far, this seems to be a helpful study ...
By Mike Burns
So far, this seems to be a helpful study aid for the PE exam. The problems are challenging but the author designed it such that if you can struggle through it, the exam will be a breeze. Start early though, there is a ton of material!