| || |
Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual, 15th Ed
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
(31 customer reviews)
Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam contains over 900 problems designed to reinforce your knowledge of the topics presented in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual. Short, six-minute, multiple-choice problems follow the NCEES Civil PE exam problem format and focus on individual engineering concepts. Longer, more complex problems challenge your skills in identifying and applying related engineering concepts. Problems will also familiarize you with the codes and standards you’ll use on the exam.
Solutions are clearly written, complete, and easy to follow. U.S. customary and SI units are equally supported, and units are meticulously identified and carried through in all calculations. All solution methodologies permitted by the NCEES Civil PE exam (e.g., ASD and LRFD) are presented. Frequent references to figures, tables, equations, and appendices in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual and the exam-adopted codes and standards will direct you to relevant support material.
Exam Topics Covered
- Civil Breadth: Project Planning; Means and Methods; Soil Mechanics; Structural Mechanics; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Geometrics; Materials; Site Development
- Construction: Earthwork Construction and Layout; Estimating Quantities and Costs; Construction Operations and Methods; Scheduling; Material Quality Control and Bookion; Temporary Structures; Health and Safety
- Geotechnical: Site Characterization; Soil Mechanics, Laboratory Testing, and Analysis; Field Materials Testing, Methods, and Safety; Earthquake Engineering and Dynamic Loads; Earth Structures; Groundwater and Seepage; Problematic Soil and Rock Conditions; Earth Retaining Structures; Shallow Foundations; Deep Foundations
- Structural: Analysis of Structures; Design and Details of Structures; Codes and Construction
- Transportation: Traffic Engineering; Horizontal Design; Vertical Design; Intersection Geometry; Roadside and Cross-Section Design; Signal Design; Traffic Control Design; Geotechnical and Pavement; Drainage; Alternatives Analysis
- Water Resources and Environmental: Analysis and Design; Hydraulics–Closed Conduit; Hydraulics–Open Channel; Hydrology; Groundwater and Wells; Wastewater Collection and Treatment; Water Quality; Drinking Water Distribution and Treatment; Engineering Economic Analysis
- Amazon Sales Rank: #18808 in Books
- Brand: Ingramcontent
- Published on: 2015-11-19
- Original language: English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 11.00" h x 1.55" w x 8.50" l, 4.08 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 824 pages
- Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam
About the Author
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
Before it grew to behemoth size, I envisioned this book being taken to work, on the bus or train, on business trips, and on weekend pleasure getaways to the beach. I figured that it would “carry” a lot easier than the big Civil Engineering Reference Manual. Though I do not think you will be taking this book on any backpacking trips, you might still find yourself working problems in the cafeteria during your lunch break.
The big issue is whether you really work the practice problems or not. Some people think they can read a problem statement, think about it for about ten seconds, read the solution, and then say “Yes, that is what I was thinking of, and that is what I would have done.” Sadly, these people find out too late that the human brain does not learn very efficiently in that manner. Under pressure, they find they know and remember too little. For real learning, you have to spend some time with a stubby pencil.
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Not worth it
As preparation for the PE Exam, I did not find this book very helpful at all. It is a completely different format than what you'll find on the actual exam. I took the exam twice, and for the second exam, I had the guidebook written by NCEES, which was far more helpful. This book now sits on my desk at work for occasional referencing, which is really the only value that I've gotten from it. Otherwise, I'd give it only one star.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Very different from test
By Amazon Customer
Way overkill for the actual test. The practice problems compared to those in a practice test from ncees are very different. Save your money and just buy those practice tests.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Questions not representative of the Civil PE Test
By cool science
I used the practice problems to help prepare for the Civil PE Transportation exam and was generally disappointed. When I took the test I discovered that the practice problems were not very representative of the test, tended to be much harder than the test, and finally failed to cover several important questions on the afternoon exam. Overall, I would suggest skipping this book and just go straight to the NCEES for their practice problems.